WHERE WE ARE
Via Santa Felicita, 8
Verona Historical Center
inside the Deconsecrated Church
HISTORY OF THE CHURCH
Santa Felicita was consecrated on 2 November 1207 by Bishop Adelardo and in a later period she was granted the baptismal font.
The building has different architectural styles developed over the centuries.
Observing the structure you can find some interesting elements, the mainly Romanesque imprint , the magnificent wooden ceiling dating back to the 1300s, the enlargement of the apse area carried out in the 17th century. The bell tower is considered among the oldest in the city.
Of great artistic importance are the frescoed walls dating back to the 1300s , which once completely covered the building; the splendid fresco depicting the face of Christ , still present inside the church, is relevant.
The church was suppressed with the Napoleonic reform of 1806 , was sold to private ownership and was used for civil uses.
Towards the end of the 19th century , part of the frescoes were detached to be conserved ; they are currently located in the warehouses of the Castelvecchio Museum and in the GB Cavalcaselle Museum near Juliet's tomb .
The church was dedicated to Saints Perpetua and Felicita, two young women who in 203 AD were arrested and sentenced to death for having converted to Christianity, since a decree by the emperor Septimius Severus had forbidden all citizens of the empire to become Christians . Martyrdom took place on March 7 in the arena of Carthage.
The cult of Perpetua and Felicity spread throughout the Christian world and was later included in the first liturgical calendar, on the date of their martyrdom.