The first mentions of the building date back to a fragment written in 1085. Santa Felicita is consecrated on 2nd November, 1207 by Bishop Adelard and in later times it was given to the baptismal font.
The building has different architectural styles developed over the centuries . Looking at the structure can be found some interesting elements , the imprint mainly Romanesque , the magnificent wooden ceiling dating back to 1300’s , the expansion of the apse performed in the 17th century. The bell tower is considered among the oldest in the city. Of great artistic importance are considered the frescoed walls, which once covered all the church, date back to the 14th century; relevant the beautiful fresco depicting the face of Christ, still present inside the church.
The church was suppressed by the Napoleonic reforms of 1806 , it was sold to private property and it was adapted to civilian use . Towards the end of the 19th century , some of the frescos were removed in order to be preserved. Currently some of them were placed in the warehouses of the Castelvecchio Museum and the rest in the museum G.B. Cavalcaselle at the Juliet’s Tomb.
The church was dedicated to Saints Perpetua and Felicita, two young women in 203 AD were arrested and sentenced to death for having converted to Christianity, since a decree of Emperor Septimius Severus, had forbidden all citizens of the empire to become Christians. The martyrdom took place on March 7th in the arena of Carthage. The cult of Perpetua and Felicita spread throughout the Christian world and was later placed in the first liturgical calendar, the date of their martyrdom.